Jan 27 2017

Case study

gizmo gum

Case Study!

This sweet girl is Gizmo. Gizmo is a 14 year old Husky who found herself making a trip to the clinic this week. Her owner found an empty gum package on the floor at home. After checking the ingredients, it was determined there was Xylitol in the gum. Xylitol is a sugar substitute that is found in sugar-free gum and is toxic to dogs. Some other things that contain Xylitol are toothpaste, mouthwash, candy, and baked goods. Xylitol can cause hypoglycemia (low blood sugar), seizures, liver failure or even death.

They weren’t sure how much of the gum she ate, if any, so they brought her to the clinic to start treatments. Gizmo had blood drawn to check her Glucose and liver function. Her bloodwork was luckily within normal limits. She then was given activated charcoal orally. Activated charcoal binds toxins in the stomach and intestines and prevents the absorption of the toxin. Gizmo stayed overnight at the clinic while receiving IV fluids. Her bloodwork was checked the next morning and everything still looked great. She was able to go home later that day.

gizmo  gizmo hosp

 

 

 

casseltonjenny | Uncategorized

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *